Check out this heart-healthy recipe for a light meal with zing from the Mayo Clinic. Adding garbanzo beans to this traditional cold Spanish soup more than doubles the fiber content!
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and
- 6 cups unsalted vegetable juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 lime wedges
In a large bowl, add the beans, vegetable juice, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, cilantro, hot pepper sauce, garlic, and lime juice. Stir well. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until well chilled.
To serve, ladle the cold soup into chilled individual bowls and garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
Dietary needs differ for everyone, so make sure to talk to your doctor about the best options for you.